Mental health support

Urgent help in a crisis

If you need help during a mental health crisis or emergency, NHS urgent mental health helplines provide:

  • 24-hour advice and support - for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for
  • help to speak to a mental health professional
  • an assessment to help decide on the best course of care

Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline

If you live in England and are aged 18 or over, you can access NHS psychological therapies (IAPT) services.

A GP can refer you, or you can refer yourself directly without a referral.

IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) services offer:

  • talking therapies, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), counselling, other therapies, and guided self-help
  • help for common mental health problems, like anxiety and depression

See problems that IAPT services can treat

The problems that IAPT services can treat include:

  • depression
  • generalized anxiety
  • social anxiety
  • panic and agoraphobia
  • other phobias
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • body dysmorphic disorder

You need to be registered with a GP to get talking therapies on the NHS.

talking changes (Durham)

We accept referrals from anyone over the age of 16 who is registered at a GP in the County Durham and Darlington area.

Telephone: Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5pm
0191 333 3300

Visit website talking changes

If you are under the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys Crisis Team for more information go to

Non-urgent advice: If you would like to talk to a doctor

If you would like to talk to a doctor about your mental health please choose from the selection below. You can do this in your own time and we will respond by the end of the next working day.